The most delicious vegan friendly, dairy-free, chocolate hot cross buns. Easy to make and delicious!
- 3 cups of flour
- ¾ cup of plant-based milk
- ⅓ cup of coconut or vegetable oil
- ½ cup of sugar
- 1 Tbsp of instant dry yeast
- 2 Tbsp of ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp of ground nutmeg
- 3 Tbsp of cocoa powder
- A pinch of salt
- 1 cup of vegan chocolate chips (roughly ½ of a 250g block, I used Whittaker's dark)
- 3 Tbsp of plant-based milk
- 3 Tbsp of flour
- 1 Tbsp of cocoa powder
- 1 Tbsp of icing sugar
- 1 Tbsp of maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp of plant-based milk
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all the bun ingredients except the chocolate chips. Mix until a dough forms. If you're using a stand mixer, attach the dough hook and knead the mixture until it becomes smooth and stretchy.
- If the dough is too dry and has cracks, add a little milk and knead again. If it's too sticky, add a little flour and knead again.
- Add the vegan chocolate chips to the dough and knead until they are evenly distributed. If the chocolate chips don't stick to the dough, you can pick up the remaining chips and press them onto the buns when shaping them.
- Leave the dough in the bowl or stand mixer and cover it with a tea towel. Let it rest in a warm place for at least 1 hour or until it doubles in size. If it doesn't double in size, move it to a warmer spot in your home.
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Divide the dough into 12 equal parts (about 75g each). Roll and shape each piece into a ball, making sure the top is smooth. Place each bun into a greased rectangular or circular baking tray, leaving around 3 cm (1 inch) between each bun.
- Cover the tray with a tea towel and let it rise in a warm spot for at least 1 hour. The buns are ready when they've expanded in size by at least 50% or are puffy again.
- To make the cross, mix all the cross ingredients in a small bowl to form a thick and smooth paste. Adjust the consistency with more flour or water as needed. Spoon the paste into a piping bag with a small round nozzle and pipe crosses onto the buns.
- Bake the buns in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until they are slightly golden brown. To check if they're done, remove one bun and tap it lightly on the bottom. It should sound hollow.
- While the buns are still warm, brush them with the maple syrup and plant-based milk glaze.
- Let the buns cool completely before serving. Enjoy!