The best ever vegan teriyaki chicken sushi! So juicy and full of flavour, and oh so perfect for summer! Made with our Harmless Plant Based Chicken Chunks.
- 1 cup sushi rice
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 sheets of nori seaweed
- 200g Harmless Chicken, sliced into thin strips
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- 1/2 cucumber, sliced into thin strips
- ½ capsicum, sliced into strips
- 1/4 cup teriyaki sauce (recipe below)
- Egg Free Kewpie Mayo (Optional)
- Pickled ginger, for serving
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup mirin
- 2 tbsp sake (optional)
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh ginger root, optional
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic, optional
- In a small pot, combine the rice and water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 18 minutes. Or use rice cooked.
- In a small bowl, mix together the rice vinegar, sugar, and salt until the sugar has dissolved. Once the rice has cooked, transfer it to a large bowl and add the vinegar mixture. Use a rice paddle or wooden spoon to gently mix the rice until it is evenly coated with the mixture. Set aside to cool.
- In a small saucepan, combine the soy sauce, mirin, sugar, ginger, and garlic. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to medium-low. Let the sauce simmer for 5 - 10 minutes, or until it has thickened to a syrupy consistency. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Cook Harmless Chicken for 2 - 3 minutes in a frying pan and then add teriyaki sauce to the chicken once cooked.
- Lay a sheet of nori on a sushi rolling mat or a clean dish towel. Wet your hands to prevent sticking and spread a thin layer of rice over the nori, leaving a 1-inch border at the top.
- Layer on the chicken, avocado, Capsicum and cucumber slices.
- Use the mat or towel to roll the sushi tightly, using the border of rice at the top to seal the roll closed. Repeat with the remaining nori sheet and ingredients.
- Use a sharp knife to cut each roll into 6-8 pieces.
- Serve the sushi with pickled ginger, and left over teriyaki sauce
- Bonus, Add egg free kewpie mayo (can be brought from Kosco) for the best plant based sushi ever!